Sunday, July 3, 2011

Remembering the Memories


I know. I know. These are the first words I have written that tell of the incredible journey we have already seen just in the past two weeks. Forgive me that they have taken so long. Honestly, this time it has been because of so much that is going on, time to sit and write has become a luxury again. Now I am sitting in the Entebbe airport waiting to board the next flight to Kenya. The Kenyan adventure I will tell about soon...

But for the past two weeks in Uganda, they have been wonderful. More than I can say is going on and God is continuing to stir things and push us into motion. The kids are doing wonderful. Thriving is a fitting word. Their English is improving and they have become closer as a family over the past months. Its amazing what a transformation physical care, love, and Jesus can do on lives. We have watched it take place. They have gone from visible rib cages to full bellies, from hopeless to hope filled. Only by the hands of God alone could any of it have unfolded. We are witnessing it again…

The things I had forgotten quickly came back to me after landing in Uganda. The smells… oh the smells. Even though certain ones are unpleasant, they bring a nostalgic feeling. A little like the aroma of cut grass reminding you of summer, burning trash reminds me that we are back in the place we love. Sounds backwards, but after experiencing it first hand, you fall in love with this place. I don’t know who “they” are, but “they” say, “You can never step foot in Africa once.” I believe it.

I had forgotten how cold the showers are. Every time I step back under the faucet, I feel like I should be getting used to it, but it is the same every time. A frigid shot of ice. I can count on consistent high shrills from Colby after hearing his shower water turn on. The pace of life is so much slower, sometimes it is an adjustment and we have to remain patient, and sometimes it is nice. At night, the sounds that fill the room are different than the normal Alabama suburbs. Crowing roosters, barking dogs, and many other interesting things that keep us awake. One even Sherry walked in the guys room because of an consistent beep of an alarm that would not turn off. “Guys!, who’s alarm is that?” With frustration from the sound and now Sherry’s confusion, Mitch quickly responds, “It is the BAT!” A large fruit bat that calls our home “home” beeps all night long. Mitch and Colby have made many unsuccessful attempts to end that sound and the bats life, but have yet to come through. If that were not enough, at 5:30 every morning the neighborhood mosque blares a singing man over the loud speaker to wake all that are in the area. Earplugs have become necessities.

We have a team of six interns, more on the way, and just welcomed in an adopting family. We had the amazing opportunity to witness this adopting family meeting their two new children for the first time ever in the airport. Everyone’s attention was directly to the mother and father embracing their entire family. There wasn’t a dry eye in the place.

We have been working hard at Rays of Hope school in one of the slums in Uganda. The need there is overwhelming and often we don’t know where to start. We have re concreted floors, built stairs, and now working on framing doors. We also met some amazing people doing soccer camps in the community with the kids.

I hate that this post is so general and lacking details, but for now I am just giving a general update. I will post more consistently about stories and other adventures that are unfolding. This is just a start.

Thank you for the prayers and support. That alone is making difference larger than any of us realize. One day we will know. God is opening doors I never dreamed could even be opened and continuing to amaze us as we walk this journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment