Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kenyan Journey


After stepping foot in Kenya this time last year, I knew I loved this country, but I had forgotten how much I loved it until once again placing my foot in the dry Kenyan dirt. The experiences and adventures have begun quickly after leaving the airport.

“Kabugute!” we all proclaim as we see our new friend and host approach us at the airport. “Karibu!” He welcomes us in Swahili. “Right this way,” Kabugute motions after we exchange hugs and meet his wife. Kabugute is a friend of ours that pastors a church in Kenya that he planted about two years ago. Just upon meeting him, you quickly see his heart for God and love for people. “You guys like… what you call it in the States… Bar-B-Q?” The word Bar-B-Q rang like music in our ears and made our meat deprived mouths water with anticipation. “Lets do it!” Cary tells him.

After a short drive through the Nairobi traffic we reach our destination. It did not resemble the Jim n’ Nicks I picture, but the smell rivaled. Smoke is rising from many different tent like structures all in one area. Cooked meat aroma floats through the air. My stomach is turning with excitement. We walk in and are flooded with men in long white coats, obviously the chefs. I realize it is a market of meat vendors, each selling their special product with unique taste. Cary, Colby, Will, and Kabu’s family sit down at a corner table clothed with red Coca-Cola labels, as Kabu pulls me over the side and said you come with me. After pushing away the hoard of people wanting us to buy from them, we step to the first vendor. Kabu and he exchange some Swahili as I sit and soak in the smell. “Taste,” Kabu says as he picks up a piece of fresh meat off the grill and pushes in my direction. I toss it in my mouth ignoring the scorching temperatures and delight in the taste. “… it’s goat! What do you think?” I knew I was enjoying it so the shock of the word goat was less damaging as if I would have heard it before I threw it in my mouth. I realized we were sampling the products. Like fine wine, we tasted a few and decided which one was best for our table to enjoy. Two goats portions and one beef. The chef prepares a large cutting board full of meat, bones, and knives, and brought it to our table. We sat around, prayed over the meat and dug in. Us Americans sat for a few moments realizing we were the only ones that thought silverware was necessary, but upon understanding we are using the “African fork,” which is two fingers and a thumb, we adapted and moved forward. Delicious! And a great experience to go along with it.

The word right now that comes to mind that God is doing is “stirring.” Things are moving all around us and deep inside of us. Steps are about to be taken but in what direction I still have yet to realize. I know in the perfect timing God will reveal what is next in Kenya and Uganda. All around us we are witnessing His Will at work. It is truly amazing. I have to remind myself to not be impatient since God is never early, and He is never late.

Many many many adventures to tell of all that has unfolded in Kenya… I don’t have time to write this moment as I sit in a hot Kenyan cyber cafĂ©, but for a quick preview… Camels… elephants… and a Maasai tribe encounter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maasai_people) Check this out and I will tell more about it as soon as I can.


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear more!! Sounds like a great trip so far! ~Mandy

    ReplyDelete